Thursday, July 14, 2011

A Southerner in a Yankee Land...Our Latest Adventure!

For more than three years I have had a friend...a modern "pen pal".  We have emailed, face booked, blog commented our way through the last three years. I have shared happy and sad moments of her life, and she has done the same with me. It almost came as a shock to me that I had never met her in RL (real life!). I know her -- could have picked her out of a crowd with ease, and yet, up until this week - I had never heard her voice or sat next to her! The Internet -- it is a fascinating friendship vehicle! We have been Internet friends for so long and through so much that we can't even remember how we actually "met" online...but Tuesday, July 12th now can be listed in our chronicles as the day we officially met in REAL LIFE.

Thanks to an advantageous vacation opportunity with my husband's family who live in Pennsylvania, my family and I make the 12 hour trek up to Yankee Land last Friday. We spent the weekend visiting our family and then spent Monday visiting our nation's most historic and treasured landmarks in downtown Philly. Tuesday morning took us to Valley Forge, PA and a visit to our most famous cousin's winter time encampment in 1777. After lunch and a quick drive --- my little gang got to meet The Gang at Momma's house!! How fun it was to see her home, her flowers, her children and watch the images from my lap top's screen come to vivid life! Three years of Internet friendship helped me feel as comfortable as if she were my next door neighbor almost instantly. Her sweet hospitality gave my child an afternoon of fun in the sun in her swimming pool and the feeling of being in a home after a week of hotel life! It was one of the highlights of our trip and my husband, child and I are so thankful for Gang's Momma and the Gang for opening their home to some strangers from the South. It was a surreal afternoon and evening, we will never forget it and we look forward to the Gang coming down South one day so we can return the hospitality!

LOVE you, my sweet Yankee Twin... so glad we finally got to meet!


Me and My Pen Pal...together at last!!

Happily,
Bev

2 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Awwww, dang! You beat me to it, girl!!!! I was thinkin' up a post in the shower this morning but the crazy train took over and I never actually got to writing it. It's still in there, and I'm gonna sit still tonight and see what comes out :)

Loved meeting you too - your family is so sweet and full of quintessentially Southern charm!!! It was a delightful visit and MUST be repeated. As often as we can manage, for certain.

Love ya!

The Gang's Momma! said...

And dang, you beat me to the thank you notes, too! Gosh, I can't get the jump on you girl.

But then, I believe I did get the new David Cook cd before you did. That's something, right?

Oh, and if you didn't get it yet? Go. Now. RUN. Get thyself to the nearest Tarjay and BUY IT. It is sooo good. I caught the boys adding it to THEIR iPods too :) IT's amazing.

I digress. :)